These delicious low-carb stuffed Portobello mushroom caps are really easy to make and deliver a ton of flavor. Taco Tuesday will never be the same!
To prepare the mushroom caps, gently remove stems by hand. Then, scoop out the gills with a spoon and discard it. This will give you more room to add your toppings, plus it will remove the residual grit that can sometimes accumulate there.
For the taco seasoning, you can use either your favorite prepared blend or make up a batch of this super easy homemade version that can be stored in an airtight container for up to six months.
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
6 large Portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
1 lb. lean ground beef
2–3 T. taco seasoning*
½ c. water
10 oz. four cheese Mexican-blend, finely shredded, divided
4 green onions, green part only, finely sliced
½ pint grape tomatoes, washed and cut in quarters
1 avocado, seed, and skin removed, cut into small chunks
*see bonus taco seasoning recipe in this package
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat.
- With a pastry brush, brush olive oil on the outside of each mushroom cap, and around the interior and edges. Set the finished caps on the lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink inside. Carefully drain off excess fat and return to heat.
- Add 2-3 T. taco seasoning mix and ½ cup water to skillet. Stir to distribute taco seasoning evenly. Cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until excess water cooks down, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the seasoned beef among the 6 mushroom caps. Add approximately 1 oz. of shredded Mexican cheese to each cap and place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the pre-heated oven. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
- To serve, top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, remaining cheese, and green onions. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Serves: 4-6 servings